The term off-grid-solar power system refers to not being connected to a municipal electricity grid, mainly used in terms of not being connected to the main or national electrical grid. In electricity, off-grid can be stand-alone systems (SHS) or mini-grids typically to provide a smaller community with electricity. Off-grid electrification is an approach to access electricity used in countries and areas with little access to electricity, due to scattered or distant population. It can be any kind of electricity generation. The term off-the-grid (OTG) can refer to living in a self-sufficient manner without reliance on one or more public utilities.
If however you live in climate zone 1,2 or 3 off grid solar power systems may not be cost effective. They are best suited for mild climates that do not require air conditioning. But grid connected solar powered systems are PERFECT for extreme heat or cold! The power company buys or credits your energy production! Talk to an expert about solar panels for homes.
Before you think about Off Grid Solar Power Systems.. You must understand ELECTRIC POWER (inductance, Reactive,Resistive), induction motors, life style choices and complex systems that require maintenance and replacement. Unlike utility grid AC Power, 48 Volts Direct Current (DC) can stop your heart without the need of a ground path… DC power can also arc across the air! Children, animals, guest and other family members should not have access to this equipment. Also batteries must be in fire rated enclosures stored in temperature controlled rooms with fire protection systems (smoke, chemical and sprinkler system) for reliable power and long life. If not, what could have lasted 10 years, may only last 2-4 years ($$$$) and you may be setting in the dark during the winter months. Batteries for your car only require enough power to start an gasoline engine, batteries for a home requires more power than you ever thought.
Today’s new battery technology is being used in areas with high peak (middle of the day) energy charges like California. If you are a residential consumer of Texas grid power, off-grid has no economic value. However grid connected solar power systems can pay for themselves in less than 3-8 years! Talk to an expert!
Despite the hype or the desire to disconnect from grid power in Texas….THERE ARE NO U.L.Off Grid Solar Power Systems CERTIFIED for Residential use. Please let us know if a manufacturer, distributor or installer tells you anything different. Off Grid Solar Power Systems work best in climates that do not require air conditioning, DO NOT put these Off Grid Solar Power System in your garage or home. FIRE HAZARD! If your in Texas… Talk to an expert about grid connected systems and utility grade solar panels for home or business use.
- Your home’s resale value increases. Realtors and buyers view solar / wind home energy systems as a significant value-added improvement, similar to adding a deck. Plus, you can also significantly reduce your power bills.
- Renewable Energy systems pay you back. Generating your own power on-site reduces, or may even eliminate, most of your home’s energy-operating costs. Solar energy can also offset any impacts from potential Utility rate increases.
- The federal government provides a 30% tax credit as well! The federal tax credit covers 30% of the system cost with No Upper Limit!
- Your Power company credits you for the excess electricity that is generated. Texas State law permits net metering so that you can receive credit for any excess electricity you generate. You benefit from reduced, if not eliminated, energy operating costs and utilities benefit from reduced demand on the system. Read this article on the Future Cost of Energy – Click Here
- Solar Technology has advanced. Although solar panels have been around since 1954, solar cells have matured and the marketplace has expanded. Today, solar photovoltaic systems are far more efficient than their predecessors. Most come with a 25-year warranty.
Professional Solar Design
Do not submit confidential information such as credit card details and account passwords. Report Abuse